Monday, February 23, 2009

You have a say ...for now

I just got back from speaking in Houston. On the flight from Dallas to Houston I sat next to an airline captain with over 30 years experience. He even trains flight crews. He told me how badly his company treats all the employees and how bad moral is throughout the company. As a frequent flyer it did not ease any of my anxiety and as a consumer of his services I was appalled. I came away with two thoughts.
  1. As chiropractors we have total control over our destiny and careers as opposed to other professions. Be grateful. Take charge while you still can.
  2. An unhappy employee should never be tolerated. They are toxic. Hire slow, fire fast.

4 comments:

Ron Steingart said...

We did just that. We let go our two massage therapists because of their attitude. Then, out of nowhere a fantastic therapist that I have used for years called me up looking for work. Her lease had expired and the landlord doubled her rent! She has only been with us for a few days and already the energy in the office is much better!

Dr. Frank Sovinsky said...

Nice work! It takes courage to stay commmited to your purpose. Most want success but are not willing to do what it takes, to take risks and to make changes.

Anonymous said...

Our office is going through this exact situation - we've parted ways with one tech and are now in the process of adding a new front tech. Since the previous tech left, the energy and focus in the office has substantially improved. As Dr Sea mentioned, this is something that should have been addressed long ago!

Great blog by the way - I think it's great having a forum to share thoughts, ideas and learn from each other.

Dr. Chris Perron said...

Dr. Fuhr mentioned at a conference years ago that at an executive's thinktank group he belonged to it was believed by many there that in order for a company to continue to grow it must fire the "bottom" 10% of their employee pool annually just because you need to shed the least productive to make room for fresh and new talent. It seemed a bit harsh at the time but I am starting to agree with that mindset more and more. I have known that I needed to swap out my Techs for a few months to continue to move forward but "there was always something else to do". Well they both just left on their timeline due to conflicting school schedules with work schedules and I needed to scramble a bit to get replacements which already are way better.

So what did I learn... my office could have been a happier and more thriving place to be for the last few months instead of the last few days if had I pulled the trigger when I should have instead of when I was forced to. And yes... I have been taught better by our coaches.