Thursday, April 30, 2009

Staff Infection

The other day while grocery shopping I overhead a couple of the employees complaining about a co-worker that called in sick again and their frustration of having to cover shifts. It makes me think back to when I was a Deputy Sheriff and had to cover shifts for other deputies who didn't feel like going to work OR if it was a quiet shift they asked to leave early. Then it would happen...things would pick up and those few remaining on shift were left to pick up the slack. Everything became hectic. A system designed to be run by 3 or 4 people doesn't run as smoothly with only 2.

Do you have a staff infection? Does your staff ask to leave early because it's quiet? Do they bring their personal problems to work with them? Give me a break, they are there to do a job. If I ever would of asked to leave early because there was no one scheduled for a re-exam or no new patients were on the book Dr. Sovinsky's response would of been, "You can do anything once!" When I finally decided to get a divorce from my husband, Dr. Sovinsky was shocked, didn't even realize that there was a problem.

If you have these problems, then YOU have a staff infection. A staff infection can boil, get infected and irritate your practice and your growth.

1 comment:

Dr. Chris Perron said...

One of the first things that I look for in a new staff person is how they look at the schedule with regard to how busy it is. We all know that it is common place for employees to try to get away with doing as little as possible, so a day that has little work to be done is viewed as a "good" day. Afterall, they made the same money for less effort. For the past year when I am short staffed I make it clear that we do not schedule any differently because of that. It was too easy in years past to limit number of patients, new patients, etc. because of the decreased manpower.

What I have found is that some of my busiest days have been short staffed. It is not that I recommend it but it created an increased need to focus on my part and the staff and it has been a real confidence boost for myself and the staff when the day goes great, which it typically does.

So if your staff sees a light schedule as an "easy" day or a "good" day you may want to offer a different perspective with regard to job security and your purpose for being there. To help people. So if there are not many people coming in then what's the purpose of them being there?