Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Trying to be a Patient

I recently moved to Midway, Utah, population approximately 3500. I realized that I was going to need to find a chiropractor for myself and my fiancé. First I went onto Activator’s website to find an Activator doctor and realized that there were none in my area so I opened the phone book and started making phone calls.

The first one I called I explained that I was new to the area and looking for a new Chiropractor. I asked what technique the doctor used and, oh my, the response was unbelievable! She said, “Oh well, I just recently started with him and I am not sure of his technique. I know he has some sort of equipment he uses, but I can’t remember the name.” I honestly can’t even remember all that she said because she just rambled on and I immediately thought about the recording the coaches play at the seminars where they secretly recorded an office and the front tech just rambled on. Then I asked about the fee, mentioned that I didn’t have insurance, and she again rambled on about it depends on this test or that test. Mind you, I’m thinking back about my own training and what SHOULD be said . . . she never once tried to just get me to schedule an appointment or explain that the fees would be discussed at the time of the visit, after the doctor had a chance to review my case, and before the exam would proceed. So I went ahead and said, “Well I would like to schedule a time for me and my fiancé to come in.” The first appointment she gave me was a week away. You have got to be kidding me. All I could picture was this small appointment book with enough room for one name every half hour. Man, working as a tech in that office would be boring. So I gave up and called another office.

The second one was even funnier . . .
So again I started with that I was new to the area and looking for a new chiropractor. When I asked about the Activator they informed me that he can use it if needed. BUT the funniest part was when I asked about hours. I said, “What are your hours?”
She replied, “It depends on if we have patients or not. Could be either 4:00pm, 5:00pm, or even 6:00pm.”
So I had to ask, “You aren’t open until 5 or 6?”

She reiterated, “It all depends on when our last patient is.”

So I decided to play the game. I said, “Well, when would be the soonest I can come in?”

She did offer me a time for that evening, but the last time was at 4pm. I explained that my fiancé’ doesn’t get off work until 6:00 so unfortunately that wouldn’t work. She actually offered to close the office at 4pm because that was the last patient schedule, go to dinner and come back to the office at 6:30.

All I kept thinking was, “WHAT!?”

After hanging up again without scheduling I couldn’t help but wonder, “Where in the world did my fiancé bring me? And . . . how do these people stay in business?”

The first line of contact for practically every new patient in any chiropractic office is the phone. Does your front tech know how to answer a prospective patient’s questions effectively AND get them in to your office without using scripts, but using genuine conversation with guidelines?

2 comments:

Brian Fitzpatrick said...

Ellen, this post is fantastic... albeit at your expense and unfortunate experiences with these "techs"!! (put in quotation marks because I don't know if their behavior merits the title?) I was already imagining/hearing the dialogue between the new patient and the rambling front desk person shared at seminars before you mentioned that's what it reminded you of, too!! :)

Hopefully you indeed had better luck finding a new chiropractor after these two attempts. Best wishes to you and your fiance in your new home!!

~ Emily Fitzpatrick :)

Anonymous said...

Ellen, congratulations on your post. These scenarios also happen in Mexico, frequently. I keep asking myself, where do they get their income from?
Best wishes!
Dr. Hernandez