Friday, March 13, 2009

Are you a Leech

So I’m up early this morning watching the CBS Early Show and they start talking about a great way to cure Arthritis . . . with a Leech! You have got to be kidding me. They attach these leeches to the area that has been diagnosed with arthritis for about an hour and it sucks out your blood and falls off. I have heard before that they have been used for some medical treatments but how in the world does sucking out your blood help your arthritis? To top that off it takes a couple of hours before you start feeling any kind of relief and the cost can start at over $600.00 a treatment! Exactly how many times do I have to endure those creepy things attached to my body?
I don’t know about you but I’m not letting any leech suck out my blood. Are you attaching yourself to your patients when they start whining about having to come in all the time or that it is too expensive OR are you explaining that they are worth the money and time it will take to maintain a healthy body and have a healthy life?

2 comments:

Dr. Tad said...

Ellen, not sure where you were going with that blog, the first thing that came to mind was the patient complaining and whining. I immediately thought of the triple A bond, Acknowledge, Ask, Answer. Instead of trying to do the chiroshuffle and dance and say things to keep the person, acknowledge their question, repeat to make sure I heard it correctly and then answer now that my brain has caught up. Usually I find the patient isn't wanting to leave or doubt my care, they have a question or concern that they are afraid to ask. Once I find the question or concern they really want to ask about, their whole posture changes. Dr. Tad.

Julie Carleton said...

Dr. Tad's comments are great. As a pharmacist, I used to have to clean the leech bucket out. At the hospital level, they were only used on the burn patients and not that often. It's crazy what some people will try for the quick fix.